REPORT: Buxton fight back to gain a point against Gainsborough Trinity

Updated: Feb 10, 2020

Buxton came back from 3-1 down to secure a 3-3 draw at the Sliverlands against Gainsborough Trinity.

The Bucks started the game off lively with Diego De Girolamo creating a brilliant ball for Nicholson who just couldn’t get his shot away as it got cleared.

After a very fast paced start Buxton grabbed there chance to score. With Nicholson again being involved in play running down the left hand side which was crossed in and met with a shot from Warren Clarke, who easily tapped it into the goal to fire the home side into the lead.

Gainsborough responded well and equalised in the 10th minute. Jordan Adebayo-Smith's goal bound effort deflected over Grant Shenton and into the goal.

Shenton was involved in more action a few minutes later, taking out Nicky Walker in the area. The referee had no option but to award Gainsborough the spot kick and give the goalkeeper a yellow card in the process. Gregg Smith stepped up and calmly put the ball in the back of the net to take them into the lead.

The goal gave Smith some confidence as he hit another shot which just curling into the keeper's hands. Gainsborough continued to dominate for the next five or so minutes with lots of possession in the middle of the park.

There was a very dry patch for the next 15 minutes or so with neither sides being able to get any chances away. However, due to some luck Gainsborough grabbed there third goal in bizarre circumstances. Smith hit a shot that looked to be going out for a goal kick, but the wind picked the ball up and looped it over Shenton’s head to put the visitors 3-1 up.

Buxton started the second half like the started the first with some beautiful football and it was only a matter of time until they grabbed there first goal back. Matt Curley on his debut hit a sweet strike from De Girolamo's cross to start the comeback.

The Bucks completed the comeback in the 56th minute. De Girolamo popped up with his 19th goal of the season after drilling Alex Brown's cross home.

After the goal it was very end to end but neither side was able to get away shot away thanks to some strong defending at the back.

The away side felt they could have had another penalty following a collision in the area but protests were waved away by the referee. Despite late pressure from the visitors the game ended on level terms.

16 views0 comments