Buxton pick up first points of the season in highly contested game against Radcliffe

The Bucks gained three points in what was a hard game against a tough Radcliffe side.

Buxton started the game the more dominate side with a long throw from Clarke in the opening minutes finding Diego De Girolamo and his looping ball was easily saved by the out coming keeper.

Soon after Tommy Elliott played join a through ball to Walshaw and his shot was well blocked out.

Radcliffe’s first chance came from a counter attack in which a cross over into the box just couldn’t find Akpa Akpro.

18 minutes in and Buxton scored the first goal of the game with Tommy Elliot chipping it over the keeper and Walshaw finishing it off to make it 1-0.

The opposition came into the game much more after this but lacked the creative spark they needed. However they did gain their equaliser from the penalty spot. Akpa-Apro was brought down in the box by keeper Tommy Taylor and Crothers took the penalty and scored.

Buxton responded well with a freekick from Elliott curling forcing the away sides keeper into a great save. However Buxton regained the lead when substitute Dawson scrambled home a cross to make it 2-1.

The Bucks went into half time the better side with Radcliffe not being creative enough.

Radcliffe were much the better side the second half. They started with a shot hit hard but blocked away from Kilgallon. The shots kept coming Crothers hit a freekick hard and low but it went just out wide.

Another Penalty got given this time for Buxton when Diego De Girolamo got brought down by Belford. He stepped up and slotted it away to make it 3-1.

It wasn’t long before Radcliffe got a well deserved goal back. Luca Navarro hit a nice side footed shot into the top corner of the net.

This goal created hope for Radcliffe with Buxton very much on the back foot . Both teams had handball claims for more penalties but the ref waved them away.

Unlucky for Radcliffe Buxton were able to extend the lead again. Tommy Elliott played a beautiful freekick into the box and O’Grady turned it into the net for 4-2.

Radcliffe fans had a second of hope of getting back into the game when Navarro’s freekick struck the post but it wasn’t to be and Buxton came out as the winners.

6 views0 comments