Chesterfield were held to a 1-1 draw by Notts County at Meadow Lane. It was a good response to that disappointing loss on Tuesday night against Altrincham. County were physical and the crowd were well behind the Magpies as it was such a big game. Alex Whittle opened the scoring for the Spireites after 14 minutes, before the hosts’ captain Kyle Wootton levelled the scoring from the spot just before half time. That’s how it ended resulting in a solid point for Paul Cook’s men. The game got off to a firey start with the circumstances coming into it, with tackles flying in from the off. Scott Loach was called into action early on with County having a couple of early half chances, which Loach certainly had to be equal to. However, it was the Spireites who struck first! Alex Whittle opened the scoring with a superb strike on his weaker right foot, high up into the top corner leaving County ‘keeper Sam Slocombe with no chance. Blue shirts continued to work hard and battle in all areas of the pitch and were searching for that second goal, but struggled to do so with County’s compact back line. Loach was called into action once again when County captain Kyle Wootton had a deflected effort heading towards goal. The veteran goalkeeper shown great acrobatics to tip the ball over the bar. However a good first half for Chesterfield was soon cut out when County were awarded a questionable penalty right before the break, but Wootton wasn’t complaining and converted well, taking the sides into half time level. The visiting Spireites came out in the second half knowing what they needed to do and County were certainly feeling the pressure. After about 50 minutes, Chesterfield captain Jamie Grimes limped off which seemed to be a contact injury, and he was replaced by Gary Gunning. Just a few minutes later Paul Cook’s side nearly took the lead, Calvin Miller dribbled his way into the box and his right footed effort hit the post, leaving Miller and most of the away end with their head in their hands. There was a huge chance which wasn’t taken after around 70 minutes, Saidou Khan got his cross in which went past everyone, and all Akwasi Asante had to do at the back post was tap it in, but instead the ball just hit his foot. About six minutes later, most of the stadium thought County were going to be 2-1 up, somehow the ball stayed out after a corner ball was floated into the box. This was almost a wake up call up call for the Spireites which seen Cook’s side push on and try and find a winner. Chesterfield could have had a penalty just a few minutes later when Tom Whelan was bundled over in the box, but much like everything on the day, it was waved away by the referee. In the last five minutes of the game, it was clear to see that both sets of players were tired, and some frustrated, resulting in a couple of tussles – but like any game involving rivals, it was always likely to happen.

16 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Jamie Vermiglio has been appointed team manager of Buxton FC to lead the Bucks in their first National League North season. ​ A former Chorley player and in charge for four years, Jamie, 39, achieved

JAMIE VERMIGLIO IS BUXTON'S NEW MANAGER Jamie Vermiglio, recently resigned as manager of Chorley, has been appointed team manager of Buxton FC to lead the Bucks in their first National League North se