Chesterfield secure play-offs with final day draw

Chesterfield secured their play-off spot on the final day of the season as they drew 0-0 with Woking.

They could have won it in the end but there’s no denying that Paul Cook will feeling relieved with his side finally getting over the line after a tricky final few months of the season, both on and off the pitch.

There was a lot at stake for the Spireites right from the off with Paul Cook’s side only needing one point to secure the play offs. Yes, a point should be easy to find with the quality in this team but the last couple of months of the season have left the side quite unpredictable.

The atmosphere was brilliant from the off, however it was the visiting Cardinals that had the first chance of the game. The visitors won the ball high up the pitch eventually leading to Tyreke Johnson nearly scoring with an acrobatic effort, just trickling beyond the far post.

Chesterfield’s first attempt on goal came after around a quarter of an hour, James Rowe lined up a free-kick from about 25-30 yards out, however it was a rather poor effort which didn’t cause the goalkeeper any problems.

Nerves were definitely showing, both in the players and certainly the fans. The atmosphere seemed to go quite dull – but a good chance for the hosts just after the half an hour mark livened up the place a little. First it was Saidou Khan who hit the bar after meeting an in-swinging cross.

The visitors had a clear cut chance shortly after Khan’s header. Inih Effiong found himself almost face to face with Scott Loach as his effort from inside the six-yard box was really well saved by the veteran.

The sides went into half-time on level terms. It had been quite even, leaving it all to play for in the second 45 minutes.

Chances were few and far between in the second half and as the clouds appeared, surprisingly the atmosphere built once again. With news in the stands coming that 8th place Dagenham and Redbridge had gone 1-0 up at Wrehxam, it was always going to be a nervy ending to the match.

Woking came close again, Johnson whipped in a dangerous low cross which luckily for the Spireites missed everybody. Just a little touch from either a green or a blue shirt could have changed the complexion of Chesterfield’s season.

With just over 20 minutes to go, Cook turned to his bench once again and 40-year-old Nathan Tyson was introduced to play, much to the appreciation of the home fans.

The Visitors ‘keeper was forced into making about four saves in a minute as Chesterfield really did turn up the heat and came knocking. Khan came the closest.

Substitutions made a difference for Woking late on, with the fresh legs helping out quite well. The visitors caused another scare on 80 minutes, sub Solomon Nwabuokei charged into the box and needed his effort blocking by as blue shirt.

Despite some late pushing from the visitors, Chesterfield held on to finish the regular season in the play-offs, setting up a busy couple of weeks for themselves.

3 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Jamie Vermiglio has been appointed team manager of Buxton FC to lead the Bucks in their first National League North season. ​ A former Chorley player and in charge for four years, Jamie, 39, achieved

JAMIE VERMIGLIO IS BUXTON'S NEW MANAGER Jamie Vermiglio, recently resigned as manager of Chorley, has been appointed team manager of Buxton FC to lead the Bucks in their first National League North se