top of page

Derbyshire United’s first match a success with late drama

A new charity initiative was officially launched on June 9, 2024, in North Derbyshire, marking Derbyshire United's first fundraising campaign with an exciting football match at Staveley Miners Welfare.

The event was held in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support, with entry being donation-based. Kickoff was at 2 PM, and the community showed strong support, raising a total of £573.20 for the cause.

This was the first of 12 games, with one game each month at a ground in Derbyshire, leading up to a big 24-hour game next year.

The game began with the Stripes getting underway. Both teams exhibited energetic play from the start, with the first notable action coming in the 4th minute when Tom Hunt forced the Stripes’ goalkeeper into a save.

Jordan Hill and Finlay Moss both came close to scoring early on, with a strong header and a low-driven shot both going wide of the post.

In a game that saw a lot of back-and-forth action, the Reds made several attempts to break the deadlock. Early substitute Liam Godber missed a close-range shot in the 20th minute, followed by Hunt’s wide attempt with the keeper off his line.

The breakthrough finally came in the 41st minute when a cross into the middle found Hunt, who finished calmly to give the Reds a 1-0 lead. The Stripes attempted to respond quickly, but Beale's shot went over the bar just before halftime.

With the Stripes looking for the equalizer, Ryan Simpson was forced into a big save to keep the Reds ahead.

Sam Murphy caused the most issues for the Reds, with a headed effort from a free kick and a shot in the 64th minute not able to find the target.

In the 73rd minute, Alex Godber had a free kick on the edge of the area, and Simpson was called into action once again to keep the Reds ahead.

Mujib Saadat tried to find the corner with a powerful low-driven shot as the Stripes continued to put on the pressure.

However, in the 80th minute, the Stripes' persistence paid off. Ben Dawson managed to get past the Reds’ goalkeeper and scored to level the game at 1-1, setting up a tense final ten minutes.

As the match edged towards a draw, the Reds found a late winner. In stoppage time, a well-delivered cross reached Murphy, who headed it in to secure a dramatic 2-1 victory for the Reds.

Derbyshire United’s first fundraising event was a resounding success, setting a positive tone for future initiatives.

47 views0 comments


bottom of page