top of page

Mickleover beat local rivals Matlock Town

Mickleover beat Matlock Town two goals to one thanks to efforts from Stuart Beavon and Ben Radcliffe.

Beavon opened the scoring midway through the first half before Radcliffe doubled the lead in the second half shortly before Ioan Evans' scrappy consolation goal.

The first chance of the game fell to Matlock but Ross Hannah's attempt from inside the Mickleover area was blocked.

Sports had their first chance of the game in the 10th minute after some good link up play between Beavon and Shaquille McDonald led to a McDonald shot going over the bar.

Five minutes later and the home side had another chance to open the scoring thanks to some amazing work from Rhys Dolan down the left, he ran half the length of the pitch beating three men before cutting the ball back to McDonald who mishit his shot to Andy Dales and he laid it off to Radcliffe who fired wide.

Hannah had the best chance of the game so far in the 20th minute but after getting in behind the Mickleover defence his shot was straight at Jonathan Hedge.

Shortly after McDonald won and took a free kick right on the edge of the box and struck it inches wide.

Matlock thought they equalised on the stroke of half time but the flag went up after Hannah squeezed the ball past Hedge and Mickleover went into the break deserved leaders.

Hedge was forced into a huge save from a header from point blank range two minutes after the restart as Mickleover came under early second half pressure.

McDonald should have made it 2-0 on the hour mark but he couldn't convert from close range somehow and hit the post after a lightning fast counter attack from Dales.

Alex Byrne fired a free kick over from a dangerous position after 66 minutes for Matlock and then a minute later Radcliffe made it two.

Radcliffe went on a driving run up the pitch before laying the ball out wide to McDonald and on his second attempt he crossed the ball into the box and Radcliffe headed it home.

The away side cut the deficit back to one just five minutes later after Ioan Evans bundled the ball over the line following an almighty goalmouth scramble.

However it just turned out to be a consolation goal and Sports held out for the important three points.

Manager John McGrath will be over the moon with his sides performance and the win.

Mickleover face Stalybridge away on Tuesday before returning to the Don Amott Arena next Saturday against FC United of Manchester.

3 views0 comments


bottom of page