Mickleover complete stunning late comeback to salvage draw

A very wet Don Amott Arena.

Mickleover scored two very late goals to rescue a draw in their huge match with bottom of the table Grantham Town.

Grantham Town were leading two nil before the late Mickleover comeback thanks to two first half goals.

It was very wet and windy conditions at the Don Amott Arena and both sides struggled battling the elements.

Sports started the game off the better side with Dempsey Arlott-John striking the outside of the post when the ball fell to him just inside the penalty area with three minutes gone.

In the 18th minute, Andy Dales forced a very good save from Grantham keeper Jim Pollard with a free kick that he had won himself.

Mickleover then hit the woodwork for a second time midway through the first half, Stuart Beavon this time hitting the post with a decent effort from distance.

Grantham should have gone ahead just after the half hour mark but Ricky Miller missed a free header just five yards out.

Gingerbreads striker Gregg Smith made it 1-0 to the away side just one minute later however, Ali Adymir broke through one on one with the keeper, but his shot was saved before Smith rebounded the ball into the net.

It was then 2-0 on the stroke of half time when Shane Clark smashed the ball into the Mickleover goal after being picked out by Adymir with a low cross.

Mickleover were unlucky to be behind and should have had a goal back four minutes after the restart but Dales couldn’t convert a free header from just three yards out.

The rain began to really come down on the pitch during the second half leading to the game becoming very scrappy with no real chances, until substitute Dexter Walters forced another good save from Pollard in goal with a free kick after 73 minutes.

Sports finally got a goal back with three minutes left to go; Ben Ratcliffe got in front of the defender at the back post and volleyed the ball through the keeper’s legs to give the home side late hope.

Just two minutes later and the comeback was complete much to the delight of the home fans. A ball into the box following a Mickleover corner caused havoc for the Grantham defence and after some scrappy play, the ball found itself at George Milner’s feet and he put it past the Grantham keeper.

Mickleover definitely deserved a point from the game and did well to score the two late goals. It was an important point, although a win would have done them much more good as they look to climb up the table.

Mickleover’s next game is away to Whitby Town on December 11th.

8 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Jamie Vermiglio has been appointed team manager of Buxton FC to lead the Bucks in their first National League North season. ​ A former Chorley player and in charge for four years, Jamie, 39, achieved

JAMIE VERMIGLIO IS BUXTON'S NEW MANAGER Jamie Vermiglio, recently resigned as manager of Chorley, has been appointed team manager of Buxton FC to lead the Bucks in their first National League North se