top of page

Mickleover winning run comes to an end thanks to late Scarborough penalty

Mickleover and Scarborough pre match

Mickleover lost their first game of 2022 this weekend as they were beaten 2-1 by Scarborough Athletic at home.

Having gone 1-0 down midway through the second half Sports equalised with less than 10 minutes to go from the penalty spot but they then conceded a penalty of their own allowing Luca Colville to win it with the last kick of the game.

It was a quiet start to the game with the first shot on target coming from a Bailey Gooda header in the 11th minute for the away side.

A minute later and Sports were very nearly in front but Davidson-Miller couldn't get a touch on Andrew Wrights shot/cross and the ball went out for a goal kick.

James Butler nearly gifted The Seadogs the lead just before the half hour mark but Cameron Wilson couldn't capitalise on Butler's poor pass and his shot from a tight angle was saved by Hedge.

Keme Agustien came very close with a free kick in the 36th minute but his effort sailed just over.

Mickleover really should have gone 1-0 up through Wright after 39 minutes, him and Davidson-Miller combined well and the ball was squared to Wright but with the goalkeeper out of the picture he still couldn't score thanks to a heroic block from the Scarborough defender.

That was the last chance of the half and the home fans were wondering just how they weren't leading at the break.

It was a very quiet start to the second half with neither side managing to have any real chances until Scarborough broke the deadlock in the 66th minute.

Ashley Jackson launched a long throw into the Mickleover box and Will Thornton at the near post rose highest and flicked it past the keeper.

Mickleover spurned into life after going one down and eventually equalised through a Mason Warren penalty in the 80th minute.

Stuart Beavon had a shot blocked by a Scarborough arm and Warren made no mistake from the spot and smashed the ball right down the middle.

Andy Dales, who started the game as a substitute, nearly won it for Sports in the 90th minute but his low drive was well saved by the keeper at his near post.

It was Scarborough that did win it in stoppage time however.

Brad Plant was played in behind the Mickleover defence before eventually going down in the box under a challenge from Rhys Dolan and the ref pointing to the spot and also sending Dolan off as he was the last man.

It looked like a soft penalty and was very harsh on Mickleover but Luca Colville did not care and he sent Hedge the wrong way to extend Scarborough's unbeaten run to 12 games.

Sports manager John McGrath, along with a few of his players were seen in heated discussion with the referee after the game, they clearly felt that the penalty call was wrong.

Mickleover have a little break now before they travel to Stafford Rangers for their next game on March 8 and they will be hoping that they can get back to winning ways.

8 views0 comments


bottom of page