Midweek football roundup

There may not have been many fixtures, but the goals were aplenty on Tuesday and Wednesday night.

Chesterfield continued their winning ways from Saturday with a convincing victory over Aldershot Town in Tuesday night's most eagerly anticipated fixture.

Midfielder Charlie Carter secured an impressive brace before half-time, including a stunning solo goal which could well be a goal-of-the-season contender, before a late penalty was struck home by Marc-Antoine Fortuné to help the Spireites sail to a 3-0 victory in front of almost 5,000 spectators.

You can read Kurt Bigg's report from the Proact Stadium here.

In the National League North, Alfreton Town's search for their first win of the season will have to wait until Saturday, as the Reds were well-beaten at Brackley Town.

The hosts were a goal up inside give minutes, with Shephard Murombedzi firing low into the net at the first attempt, before he doubled the Saints' lead just eight minutes later.

Richard Peniket grabbed one back for Alfreton after half-time, but the hosts were in no mood for letting up, sealing their victory through Lee Ndlovu with 20 minutes to play.

Ilkeston Town are the only other Derbyshire team besides Derby and Chesterfield to get maximum points so far.

The Robins had to survive a nervy ending to the game at Shepshed Dynamo in the Midland Football League Premier Division; goals from Reeves, Walker and White earned the points for Town, and Betts's late goal for Shepshed was only a consolation as the Robins were 3-2 winners once more.

South Normanton are yet to add points to the board after a second defeat from their opening two games; Coventry United stole the points with a slender 1-0 victory, although the Shiners may have been unlucky not to take anything.

Long Eaton United completed the midweek line-up with their visit to Quorn AFC, but it was a less-than-happy trip to Leicestershire with the Blues being beaten 4-2 to prevent them finding their first win of the season.

6 views0 comments