REPORT: Denton header saves Spireites

Chesterfield salvaged a draw against Halifax Town after Tom Denton's header cancelled out Matty Kosylo's goal at the MBI Shay Stadium.

Martin Allen made two changes to the side that drew 0-0 against AFC Fylde last Saturday. Kyel Reid and Alex Kiwomya, on loan from Doncaster Rovers, were brought in for Marc-Antoine Fortune and Jerome Binnom-Williams. Zavon Hines also returned to the substitutes bench after completing his three game suspension.

The Spireites came out of the starting blocks with purpose and almost took the lead in the opening minute. Sam Muggleton's long throw was flicked back into the middle by Curtis Weston, but Will Evans' goal bound effort was cleared off the line.

In the 23rd minute, Lee Shaw's brilliant cross was almost put into the back of the net by Kiwomya, but the new loan signing couldn't get a good connection on the ball.

Halifax were very quiet in the first half but were very close to taking the lead through Joe Skarz when his long-range effort went just past the post.

Once again, Muggleton's long throws was causing havoc in the Halifax box. Denton got his head to the throw with ten minutes of the first half to go, but his effort bounced off the crossbar.

Just before the second half got underway, Hines was brought on for Kiwomya and the returning winger would start to test the home side's resistance.

The 29-year-old played a deadly ball across the face of goal, however Curtis Weston somehow sent his effort wide of the goal.

Nine minutes later, Weston nicely set-up Hines who then smashed his volley into the side netting.

In the 69th minute, Chesterfield felt a familiar sinking feeling as the hosts took the lead. The threatening Matty Kosylo was the first onto a flick-on before rounding Callum Burton and tapping home into the empty net.

However, just ten minutes later, the scores were level. Hines' back heel found Binnom-WIlliams and his pinpoint cross was expertly headed past Sam Johnson by Denton, who grabbed his first goal for the Spireites against his former club.

After another couple of attacks from the away side, it was the Shaymen who almost took all three points from the game at the death. Kyle Wooton met Cameron King's corner, but his header ricocheted off the crossbar.

The point means that the Spireites are unbeaten in three and have moved up one place to 19th (if you want to put a positive spin on it). On the other side, it is now 13 without a win heading into the FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round away at AFC Fylde.


Post-Match Verdict: At least Hines is back!

I'll be honest, people may bash the long ball, but it was troubling the Halifax defence in the first half.

On the other hand, pace was the key in the second half and if one of Kayode or Fortune were brought on for Denton, I do think the Spireites could have gone on to win the match.

I don't think anyone played particularly bad except maybe Reid. He panicked too much and misplaced too many passes.

I was impressed with Rowley in his slightly more defensive role, Muggleton stopped most of the attacks down his side once again and how good was it to have Hines back on the pitch?

Another thing I will say is that the win isn't far away and if it was to come against Wrexham or Harrogate, it could be a massive confidence boost for Chesterfield.

However, next up is to try and qualify for the first round of the FA Cup. It will definitely not be an easy clash, but a win will boost morale going into the next stretch of league games.

240 views0 comments