REPORT: Gresley FC 1-1 Selston FC

Updated: Mar 9, 2020

In a game of three penalties, Louie Briscoe’s late conversion salvaged a fortunate point for Gresley after being second-best against bottom of the league, Selston.

In Gary Norton’s first game in charge, the Moatmen would end up indebted to goalkeeper, Ewan Mountjoy, who made numerous saves to keep his side in the contest.

Carl Moore’s penalty kick had given the visitors the lead in the first half after team-mate, Oliver Roome had missed from the spot earlier in the game. In the end, however, Gresley would salvage a point when Briscoe lifted himself up after being felled in the box to equalise for the home side.

It was an extremely nervous start from Gresley, and Nottinghamshire-based, Selston, took full advantage. Despite dominating the first few exchanges with neat possession, the away side’s first venture forward caught the home defence out.

The influential Carl Moore did well to receive the ball and flick it into the path of Oliver Roome. The striker broke through the middle and left Tyreece Robinson in his wake, before his run was halted by Mountjoy. The referee had no hesitation, confidently pointing to the spot and booking the on-loan keeper.

The away side, however, wouldn’t take advantage as Roome could only watch as his effort sailed wide of the left-hand post.

This didn’t deter the forward from running in behind, and there was a point of controversy just a couple of minutes later when he was again brought down by Mountjoy – but this time the referee whistled for a foul the other way.

Despite failing at the first attempt, Selston would have another opportunity from the penalty spot in the 27th minute. It was a bizarre penalty to concede, as Jake McIntosh inexplicably threw his arm in the way of an in-swinging corner. This time, the away side ruthlessly punished the defender’s mistake as Carl Moore thumped the ball down the middle of the net.

The goal did seem to kick Gresley into some sort of attacking impetus as Joe Haines had a powerful effort saved at the near post. Then just a minute later Tyreece Robinson had his header cleared off the line.

Yet if it weren’t for Ewan Mountjoy, the Moatmen could’ve been facing a larger deficit at half time. The Kidderminster loanee did well to hold onto Sean Gregory’s close-range volley, before he then denied Gregory again with an even better save, rushing out to snuff out the chance after the winger had stolen possession from Benn Minshull.

After the half time break, more of the same followed – with Selston very much on the front foot. They could’ve doubled their lead when Lucas Brough found himself free at the back post, but Mountjoy was once again equal to the effort.

Then in the 55th minute, the impressive goalkeeper did extremely well to hold onto Jamie Redshaw’s goal bound header following a corner kick.

Gradually, Gresley started to regain a foothold in the game, with McIntosh heading wide before Lucas Harrison’s swerving drive from the edge of the box whistled over the crossbar.

In the 84th minute, the referee would award the lifeline that the Moatmen so desperately needed when Briscoe was felled in the box. The man in the middle pointed to the spot much to the relief of everyone around the ground.

Briscoe picked himself up from the floor before sending Meehan the wrong way to level proceedings. It was a decision that the Selston players took major issue with, resulting in two players being sin binned by the referee.

When play resumed Gresley looked to force home their man advantage to claim what would be a scarcely deserved winner. However, the Moatmen couldn’t muster any chances, and it was nine-man Selston who had the best chance to nab the three points when Carl Moore blazed over from the edge.

Ultimately, Norton’s side settled for a fortunate point, owing a lot to their loanee goalkeeper, Mountjoy – otherwise it could’ve been a much more harrowing afternoon for the home side.

12 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Jamie Vermiglio has been appointed team manager of Buxton FC to lead the Bucks in their first National League North season. ​ A former Chorley player and in charge for four years, Jamie, 39, achieved

JAMIE VERMIGLIO IS BUXTON'S NEW MANAGER Jamie Vermiglio, recently resigned as manager of Chorley, has been appointed team manager of Buxton FC to lead the Bucks in their first National League North se