top of page

REPORT: Late Barnet goal condemns Spireites to third successive loss

After another frustrating game, Chesterfield were once again on the receiving end of a last-minute winner after Jack Taylor's wonder strike gave Barnet the three points.

Martin Allen made two changes to the starting 11 that lost to Salford with new loan signing Callum Burton replacing Shwan Jalal and Bradley Barry replacing the injured Charlie Carter.

The opening exchanges didn't provide much in excitement, however the visitors were the closest to taking the lead. Elliott Johnson's corner found former Spireite Byron Harrison who glanced his header wide.

Barnet continued to pressure the home side and almost found their reward through Charlee Adams who saw his speculative shot superbly tipped over the bar by Burton.

After 20 minutes, the Blues started to find their way into the game. Kyel Reid fired the first shot but it was dragged wide of the goal.

On the 24th minute, Drew Talbot's cross found the head of Laurence Maguire, but his effort looped over the bar.

The Spireites continued to bombard the Bees goal but Robbie Weir's long range shot forced a fantastic save from Mark Cousins. Zavon Hines took the resulting corner but Reid's shot cleared the bar.

Just before the half ended, the home side would have one more chance but Michael Nelson's header from Maguire's free kick went just wide of the post.

Six minutes into the second half, the away side almost pulled ahead. Johnson's free kick fell to Jack Barham but Burton was there once more to produce an excellent stop.

Chesterfield would try their best to sneak into the lead, but substitute Gozie Ugwu had his effort somehow cleared off the line.

There was another instance of panic in the Barnet box after Reid's corner caused a scarmble in the six-yard box before falling to Curtis Weston, who fired his shot over the crossbar.

After surviving the pressure, John Still's team almost caught the hosts on the break. Shaquile Coulthirst passed the ball into the path of David Tutonda, his shot being saved by the Blues goalkeeper.

He was called into action only a minute later after Johnson's cross landed at Dan Sweeney but the defender's shot was saved at point blank range by Burton.

The Spireites were dealt another catastrophic setback on the stroke of added time when Jack Taylor's thunderbolt flew into the top corner to steal the three points.

There was almost a twist in the tale when Sam Muggleton's long throw was tapped in by Hines. However, the referee ruled out the goal due to a push on Cousins.


Post-Match Verdict: Another last-minute winner

In the post-match press conference, Martin Allen described his team's performance as bland and boring. I would have to agree with him.

The team has lost a spark with Jerome Binnom-Williams, Gozie Ugwu and Charlie Carter all missing from the team.

However, I don't agree with some people's opinion that we should be worried. I personally don't think that the Spireites should have lost the last two games. It's been a couple of defensive mistakes that have cost the Blues.

It is imperative to get back on track at Hartlepool and make sure that everyone is in good spirits for the visit of Leyton Orient.

With players starting to return and with Adrian Whitbread also returning, I do think that Chesterfield will be on the right track very soon.

65 views0 comments


bottom of page