REPORT: Late Salford strike sinks Spireites

A late Danny Whitehead strike condemned Chesterfield to a second successive 3-2 defeat and saw the Blues slip to eighth in the National League table.

Martin Allen made two changes to his starting lineup with Laurence Maguire replacing the injured Sam Wedgebury and new signing Kyel Reid taking the place of the suspended Jerome Binnom-Williams.

The first chance fell to the visitors as Charlie Carter looked to grab his third goal of the season but a great save from Chris Neal denied that.

Salford would go on to take the lead in the 19th minute as former Chesterfield striker, Adam Rooney, raced through on goal before slotting past Shwan Jalal.

The Ammies almost doubled their lead two minutes later when Rory Gaffney's low shot stuck the bottom of the post.

Will Evans almost pulled Martin Allen's side level after he connected to Zavon Hines' free-kick, however his header looped onto the bar.

Chesterfield continued to push for the equaliser and almost found it but Kyel Reid's 25-yard effort looped just over the bar.

The Spireites did find the leveller before half-time but in the strangest fashion, Carl Piergianni saw his back pass nearly roll over the line for an own goal but Hines was on hand to tap into the empty net.

With the second half only a couple of minutes old, the Blues were dealt a blow after Charlie Carter was taken off after landing awkwardly on his ankle, with Sam Muggleton brought on in his place.

The hosts regained the lead ten minutes into the second half after Piergianni headed home from Danny Lloyd's corner.

Salford's lead didn't last long, though, as Hines found his way into the box before playing the ball into Marc-Antoine Fortune for the striker to grab his second in a Chesterfield shirt.

Muggleton saw one of his long throws directly find the back of the net. However, the referee disallowed the goal.

The Spireites were struck with a hammer blow with just a minute to go when Danny Whitehead's strike from the edge of the box found the bottom corner of the goal.

This goal gave Salford their second consecutive win, while Chesterfield fell to their second consecutive defeat.


Post-match verdict: Spireites not at their best

It wasn't exactly the performance that the 1300 travelling fans were hoping for. With the injuries and suspensions, Martin Allen's side couldn't play to their full potential and it showed.

Zavon Hines was the standout performer but the defence looked exposed to the dangerous Salford attack.

The injuries to Sam Wedgebury and Charlie Carter also leaves the squad slightly bare in a couple of positions.

However, with an out-of-form Barnet travelling up to the Proact next Saturday, this could present a great chance to Chesterfield to get that winning feeling back.

85 views0 comments