REPORT: Moatmen steal victory in dramatic all-Derbyshire encounter

An all-Derbyshire local derby was keenly contested by the two NPL East Division sides Belper Town and Gresley, and the visiting Moatmen came from behind in dramatic style to clinch all three points.

Belper were quick off the mark after only two minutes when Crouz crossed from the right but the shot from Curtis was saved by the Gresley goalkeeper.

Three minutes later the visitors showed their intent when Smyth had an on target shot saved from a free-kick.

Belper settled down and started to create more goal chances. After a foul on Curtis a touchline free kick was headed on goalwards by South with Livesey in the Gresley goal making a good save.

Gresley were struggling against the Nailers at this point and a collision between defender and goalkeeper on 25 minutes saw the ball drop kindly for Curtis to put the ball into the net.

Belper continued to attack and were rewarded with a second goal eight minutes later. Crouz won a free-kick on the edge of the penalty area and Nelthorpe fired home a beauty into the top corner.

Roome was lucky not to be sent off before half-time for a nasty foul on Crouz who continued to cause Gresley problems.

Another fine chance by Curtis in stoppage time should have seen the home side 3-0 up but the striker made a bad connection and shot wide.

Gresley began the second half in determined fashion, creating several chances before the hour. Although Belper had just created two good chances it was Gresley who got the next goal.

On 53 minutes a push by Nelthorpe in the area on Morris-Clarke saw the referee award a penalty which was scored low to the left by Smyth.

Gresley had their tails up now and swarmed forward, causing Belper to concede numerous free-kicks.

Belper made a couple of substitutions but without the desired effect and Gresley continued to look strong in attack.

On 71 minutes Gresley had a free kick played into the area from the right and as the goalkeeper made a mess of catching the ball O'Connell fired home to level the scores.

Belper still had enough chances to win the game with South heading wide and Curtis and Milner going close.

But the sting for the Nailers came in stoppage time with 94 minutes played, and some serious pressure from Gresley was rewarded when Belper couldn't get the ball away and Morris-Clarke struck the winner from the edge of the area to complete a memorable turnaround.

8 views0 comments