REPORT: Spireites advance in trophy

Chesterfield beat Boston United 4-1 on penalties to earn their place in the fifth round of the FA Trophy. Scott Garner put the Pilgrims ahead in the 50th minute but Haydn Hollis' equaliser meant the outcome would be decided from the penalty spot.

James Rowe made six changes from the side that fell to defeat at Solihull Moors. Dylan Wharton and Martin Smith were handed debuts and Marcus Dinanga made his first start for the club. George Carline returned after suspension and fringe players Joe Rowley and Liam Mandeville made the starting eleven

The hosts had a penalty shout ten minutes in when they claimed Will Evans had brought down Jay Rollins inside the area but the referee swiftly waved away the appeals.

Rowley was presented with a good chance a few minutes later. He tried to take it round Pilgrims ‘keeper Ross Fitzimons but the former-Spireites stopper pulled off a double save to deny him.

The scoring was nearly opened by Rowley again from a similar position but he could only direct his strike into the side netting.

Just after the half-hour mark Wharton punched away a Pilgrims free-kick which fell to the feet of Rollins. His effort looked to be going goal-bound but Evans was there to clear off the line.

The fast-paced first half remained goalless despite clear-cut chances for both sides.

5 minutes into the second half the deadlock was broken by Boston. Joe Leesley’s corner was misread by ‘keeper Wharton allowing Garner to nod in at the far post.

10 minutes later the Spireites were let off when Haydn Hollis gave the ball away on the edge of the area allowing Connor Dimaio through on goal but he failed to capitalise on the chance, hammering the shot way over the bar.

A couple of minutes later Fitzimons nearly scored from deep inside his own half. The ‘keepers clearance, made difficult to navigate by the blustery conditions, bounced over Wharton’s head and crashed off the bar.

However Hollis got the Spireites back on level terms with 15 minutes remaining. He latched onto substitute Jak McCourt’s corner and powered home at the near post.

The visitors pushed on for a winner but the game for forced to a penalty shootout with the score 1-1 at the end of normal time.

Laurence Maguire converted the first of the spot-kicks but Jordan Burrow for Boston was denied by Wharton. Rowley and McCourt dispatched and Dimaio missed, giving Tom Whelan the chance to win it for the Spireites. He stepped up and scored, securing a place in the fifth round of the FA Trophy.

The Spireites will travel to Aldershot on Saturday 6th February meaning that the game against Halifax for that day will be rescheduled.

Chesterfield: Wharton; Yarney, Evans, Hollis, Maguire, Carline; M Smith (McCourt 56’), Weston, Rowley; Mandeville (Whelan 71’), Dinanga (Asante 46’).

Unused Substitutes: Clarke, Hutchinson.

7 views0 comments