REPORT: Spireites come unstuck against Ian Evatt’s Barrow

After three wins on the spin, Chesterfield slipped to a 3-2 defeat in a thrilling encounter at Holker Street.

The Spireites turned the game on its head from a goal down, but a Jerome Binnom-Williams red card allowed the hosts back into the game and onto victory.

The first chance of the game was for the hosts and came as a result of Dan Jones' long throw in, which caused havoc in the box but was eventually struck over the bar after falling to Kyle Jameson.

The visitors soon responded with an excellent strike from Marc-Antoine Fortune, which the Barrow 'keeper Andrew Firth managed to stop from going goal-bound with his leg.

But a goal soon came for the hosts in the seventh minute, after Tyler Smith's cross found its way to the feet of Bluebirds top scorer Jack Hindle who slotted it home.

Seven minutes after the Spireites conceded, Zavon Hines found the back of the net through a neat header to level.

Due to a serious-looking knee injury in the 29th minute of his league debut, Sam Wedgbury had to be stretchered off and was replaced by George Smith.

Towards the end of the first half the Chesterfield defence coped well with a lot of pressure from Ian Evatt's men.

Just before the break Jason Taylor was subbed off and replaced by Barrow's latest signing Steve Jennings.

307 Spireites made the 316-mile round trip to Holker Street

Five minutes into the second half, the Spireites found themselves ahead after a Hines free-kick which made its way to the head of Will Evans, who powered the ball into the back of the net.

Shortly after the Spireites took the lead, Binnom-Williams was shown a red card for a strong tackle on Barrow striker Nathan Waterston.

Following the red card, Martin Allen made a tactical substitution bringing off Fortune who was replaced by Laurence Maguire.

As expected, Barrow dominated possession against ten-man Chesterfield .

23 minutes into the second half Sheffield United youth product Tyler Smith, levelled things up at Holker Street, with a great effort ending up in the right corner.

Shortly after, the 19-year-old bagged his second goal of the night from a cross delivered by John Rooney to put Barrow 3-2 up.

Charlie Carter so nearly bagged an equaliser for the visitors through a free kick, but his effort was swiftly saved by Firth.

Barrow substitute Connor Jennings was shown two yellow cards in a very short space of time as Barrow were reduced to ten men with five minutes to go, but the hosts held on to an important victory and the Spireites slipped to their first defeat.


Post-match verdict: plenty of positives despite the result

Whilst the Spireites didn't grab three points at Holker Street, they caused Barrow lots of problems and nine points out of a possible twelve remains a promising start to their National League campaign.

Martin Allen believes the sending off was a "pivotal point in the game" and described their 3-2 loss as disappointing in front of a great away following. He praised his team for showing lots of courage and says the performance was better than the one against Ebbsfleet.

He also added that Sam Wedgebury's injury "doesn’t look good".

Ultimately he believes that the support of 1,300 away fans at Salford this Saturday can lift the team back to winning ways.

331 views0 comments