top of page

REPORT: Spireites grab massive win at Fylde

GOAL: The Spireites players and fans celebrating Marc-Antione Fortune's first half goal.

The Spireites moved further up the National League table thanks to a massive 1-0 win against AFC Fylde at Mill Farm.

John Sheridan made no changes to the side that beat FC Halifax Town last weekend.

Jerome Binnom-Williams and Bradley Barry were brought onto the bench in place of Joe Rowley and Kyel Reid.

The only goal of the game came in the first 15 minutes, thanks to Marc-Antoine Fortune's seventh goal of the season.

The first chance of the game fell to the home side after only two minutes. Fylde's corner wasn't cleared and fell to Danny Philliskirk, but the midfielder headed over from six yards out.

Chesterfield had to wait seven minutes for their first chance, but Jonathan Smith's goalbound effort deflected off Scott Boden and wide of the post.

AFC Fylde came close to opening the scoring through Nick Haughton when his drive from outside the box went inches wide of the goal.

The Spireites took the lead in the 13th minute, as Fortune made a strong run into the penalty area before unleashing a shot that squeezed past Jay Lynch.

Haughton was proving to be the home side's standout man in the first half. He was allowed time and space from 25-yards and his curling effort struck the post before Ashley Hemmings ballooned the rebound high and wide.

With the first half drawing to an end, the visitors had a couple of decent chances of doubling their lead.

Ellis Chapman's low drive was cleared off the line before Shaw could tap home.

Boden then also came a whisker away with just four minutes of the half left, with his bending effort beating the goalkeeper, but not the post.

The second half didn't start with the same intensity as the first with the hosts creating the first chance of the second period. However, Alex Reid's looping header landed on top of Shwan Jalal's goal.

Dave Challinor's side continued to look for the equaliser and manufactured a big chance with 20 minutes to go, as Dan Bradley unleashed a fierce effort on the edge of the box, but Jalal got down quickly and made a smart save.

The hosts continued to pile on the pressure with time running out. Both Bradley and Danny Rowe were somehow denied a late leveller, but the Spireites were able to hold on for a massive victory.

This victory lifts Sheridan's side up to 17th, two points above Havant & Waterlooville who occupy the last relegation spot.


Post-Match Verdict | Safety is looming ever closer

What a win. From top to bottom, the whole team provided a performance that deserved to beat one of the league's best teams.

There were a few scares, but Sheridan and co-dealt with them and recorded yet another clean sheet.

Jalal was brilliant. The defence was once again stubborn and reliable. The midfield was sometimes overrun, but solid and the attack was a handful to the Fylde defence.

The manager was delighted with the performance, he said: "It was a great effort from the players. Every game we go into; we know the importance of picking three points up."

"We've just got to get a bit of balance and a bit of know-how within our play," Sheridan said.

"It's not just about the eleven. We've got a lot of players that want to be playing at the club.

3 views0 comments


bottom of page