REPORT: Spireites held back by Billericay

Chesterfield were held to a 1-1 draw at home to National League South side Billericay Town in the first round of the FA Cup.

Laurence Maguire put the hosts a goal up in the first half before Moses Emmanuel's second-half thunderbolt earned Billericay a replay.

The lower league opposition almost took the lead in the first two minutes when Emmanuel's low shot was pushed away by Callum Burton.

Three minutes later, Kyel Reid's corner was headed towards goal by Maguire but his effort was well saved by Alan Julian.

Ricay's goalkeeper was called into action once more before the clock struck 10 minutes. Zavon Hines' cross met Marc-Antoine Fortune but the striker's header was straight at Julian.

The Spireites continued to find Julian in fine form with Hines being denied by the shot stopper.

Billericay's resistance was finally broken on the 17th minute when Joe Rowley's free kick was nodded into the bottom corner by Maguire.

After the goal, the visitors managed to get a reprieve from the constant waves of Chesterfield attacks. Sammy Deering came close for the lower league opposition when his strike from range went just wide of the post.

However, seven minutes into the second half, the National League South outfit stunned the majority of the 2900 crows at the Proact.

Emmanuel was allowed time and space before unleashing a fantastic long range screamer past a helpless Burton.

With 25 minutes of the second half remaining, Martin Allen's side almost took the lead for the second time in the game. Jonathan Smith's header was tipped into the path of Fortune but his goal-bound shot was blocked brilliantly by Scott Doe.

The Spireites continued to try and find the goal to take them through to the second round of the FA Cup, and Maguire almost grabbed his second of the game but his shot flew just over the crossbar.

In the last 10 minutes, the hosts came so close to grabbing the winning goal. Smith's shot was deflected just wide of the goal before Curtis Weston's effort from outside the box fizzed wide of the post moments later.

With just a couple of minutes to go, substitute Lee Shaw found himself in a one-on-one situation but the striker was crucially denied by Julian to give Billeriacy a replay.

The replay will take place at the AGP Stadium in about 10 days time, although both teams will be in the draw for the second round on Monday.

50 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Jamie Vermiglio has been appointed team manager of Buxton FC to lead the Bucks in their first National League North season. ​ A former Chorley player and in charge for four years, Jamie, 39, achieved

JAMIE VERMIGLIO IS BUXTON'S NEW MANAGER Jamie Vermiglio, recently resigned as manager of Chorley, has been appointed team manager of Buxton FC to lead the Bucks in their first National League North se