REPORT: Spireites secure draw at Solihull

Lee Shaw's first league goal for Chesterfield was enough to secure a 2-2 draw against Solihull Moors at the ATG Stadium.

Jermaine Hylton put the Moors ahead on 37 minutes before Marc-Antoine Fortune equalised just minutes into the second half.

However, Solihull hit back and were ahead a couple of minutes later through Alex Gudger, but Shaw was on hand to score his first for the club and earn the Spireites a point.

John Pemberton stuck with the 3-5-2 formation that finished the Hartlepool match but the home side started off as the better team.

Just two minutes into the game, Hylton almost got the Moors off to the perfect start. The forward a way into the box before firing over the crossbar.

Fortune, who started his first game since the middle of November, had a chance to put the visitors in front after eight minutes, but unfortunately for the 37-year-old, he could only poke the ball into the arms of Ryan Boot.

After that one slight attack, the hosts took control of the match. Hylton was once again causing problems as his shot across goal was inches away from being tapped in at the back post.

Half way into the first half the ball fell to Liam Daly in the box, but his goal bound effort was cleared off the line by Haydn Hollis.

The pressure continued and Solihull Moors almost took the lead on the half hour mark through an audacious attempt. Jamey Osbourne spotted Callum Burton off his line and tried to chip the keeper from 40 yards. The effort dipped just over the crossbar.

With eight minutes of the first half to go, the home side took the lead. Osbourne passed a couple of players before finding Hylton, the striker then showed composure as he stabbed the ball past Burton.

In added time, Fortune almost pulled Chesterfield level. He managed to make his way into the box before seeing his left-footed strike go just wide of Boot's goal.

At half time, caretaker manager Pemberton made a double substitution. Jamie Sharman and Alfie Beestin were replaced by Robbie Weir and the returning Alex Kiwomya.

And it was the latter that created the first goal, with Kiwomya making the best of a defensive mix-up before squaring the ball across goal for Fortune, who tapped home for his fifth goal of the season.

The Spireites were only level for two minutes, though, as Darren Carter's corner found the head of Alex Gudger and the defender powered his header into the back of the net.

Kiwomya was causing the Solihull defence all kinds of problems and almost grabbed his second assist of the day as his cut-back was met by Jonathan Smith, but the midfielder's low effort agonisingly went the other side of Boot's post.

The left-hand side was where Chesterfield were creating all of their chances. Just after the hour mark, Jerome Binnom-Williams made his way into the box before unleashing a strike which forced a good save from Boot.

However, in the 69th minute, the Spireites were level once again. Kiwomya saw his effort rebound off the post, before Shaw fired home from just a few yards for his first goal at National League level.

The away side could have very much snatched a winner with just five minutes left of the 90; Shaw nodded the ball across goal to Smith, but the skipper somehow saw his close-range header cleared off the line by both Boot and Gudger.


Post-Match Verdict: A good point on the road

John Pemberton once again re-arranged his team was on the back foot. He brought Kiwomya on at half time and changed the shape of the squad.

Let's face it, the Doncaster Rovers loanee was absolutely brilliant after coming off the bench and it was fantastic to see Lee Shaw grab his first league goal for the club.

Joe Rowley and Levi Amantchi were rested and Kiwomya was seen with ice on his leg after the game. It sounds like the winger should be able to play against Ebbsfleet United on Saturday, though.

Moving onto the caretaker manager, he said: "To come back again, and we could have won it at the end with Smith’s header, I have to be really pleased.

"They are obviously disappointed because they think we could've won it at the end."

26 views0 comments