REPORT: Trojans remain top despite defeat in poor conditions!

On a day where the weather took centre stage, the Trojans fell to just their third league defeat of the season away as Barton Town.

After a 5-2 win mid-week against Bridlington, Brett Marshall made two changes. Sam Finlaw returned from suspension to replace the suspended Mitchell Langton and Charlie Oglesby dropped to the bench as Jordan Emery made his debut at Left-Back.

After just 15 seconds, Adam Lund attempted a long throw into the box and as the wind held the ball up, it was clear to see the wind was going to play a big part in the game.

As Staveley fought valiantly against the wind, Barton tried to make the best of their advantage and could have been two goals to the good by half-time.

Their first chance came just five minutes into the game when Ben Hinchcliffe was left one-on-one with Myles Wright but he dragged his effort just wide.

The second was captain, Wade Fairhurst who's effort from 22-yards rattled the crossbar before Staveley cleared their lines.

The Trojans did create chances themselves, Robson Doolan's pace was enough to beat Callum Walmsley, but his effort was just wide.

Michael Burke found himself in space in the area as Rob Worrall's cross just couldn't be directed on target by the Trojans' top goalscorer.

The Trojans defence stood firm until the 37th minute, when Josh Baker's effort was saved well, low down by Myles Wright, but it was pushed into the path of Matthew Plummer who converted from close range to give the hosts the lead.

The goal lit a fire within the Staveley camp as they pushed to try and get themselves a much needed equaliser. Burke attempted to chip the hosts keeper, but his effort was just over the crossbar.

The second-half saw the weather conditions get worse and as rain was added to the mix, it was hard to predict what the next 45 minutes had to offer.

The Trojans had the weather in their favour and the introduction of Shaun Mundy at half-time put the Swans on the back foot.

His energy helped create a number of chances, Adam Lund and Gary Mundy combining from S. Mundy's cross was caught by Sam Riches in the Swans goal.

As the game progressed, questions were continued to be asked of the hosts defence and the offside trap became more prominent.

Whilst Staveley's attack were fighting for the equaliser the defence went through spells of being under pressure themselves.

G. Mundy challenged Jack McMenemy in the area, but his claims for a penalty was turned down quite abruptly by referee.

With the full time looming ever closer at the Easy-Buy Stadium, the Trojans continued in search for the elusive equalising goal.

But it wasn't to be and as the full time whistle blew, it was met with jubilation from the home side as they leapt up the table.

The defeat doesn't impact the Trojans league position, however, does make for a more interesting run in atop the NCEL Premier for the neutral.

Staveley meet Silsden on Wednesday night as they attempt to get their promotion push back on track.

Staveley Miners Welfare: Wright, Parkin (Jones), Lund, G. Mundy, Emery, Finlaw, Lindley, Doolan (S. Mundy), Worrall, Froggatt, Burke (Pugh)

Unused Substitutes: Oglesby, Kay.

47 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Jamie Vermiglio has been appointed team manager of Buxton FC to lead the Bucks in their first National League North season. ​ A former Chorley player and in charge for four years, Jamie, 39, achieved

JAMIE VERMIGLIO IS BUXTON'S NEW MANAGER Jamie Vermiglio, recently resigned as manager of Chorley, has been appointed team manager of Buxton FC to lead the Bucks in their first National League North se