Mickleover out of FA Cup thanks to two late Basford goals

The calm before the storm as the players 'shake hands' before kick off.

Mickleover’s FA Cup run came to an after two late goals from Basford United helped them come from behind to win the game 3-1 and progress into the third qualifying round.

It was a very even game but Mickleover just ran out of steam towards the end and Basford extended their impressive record over the home side.

Basford United had the first chance of the game in the second minute when Kane Richards forced a good save from Callum Hawkins with a shot heading for the bottom corner.

However, it was Sports who took the lead after seven minutes, Jake Bennett drove forwards with the ball before playing it out wide to Stuart Beavon, he then played the ball across the box along the ground and Ben Lewin arrived at the far post to slot the ball first time past the Basford keeper.

Mickleover were the better side for the opening stages of the game and had deserved their lead but were forced into their first change of the match in the 30th minute with Joe Bateman being replaced by Mason Warren.

Basford almost equalised in the 37th minute as they began to grow into the game but a Brad Gascoigne header across goal was just about dealt with by some scrappy defending.

The Lions did have their equaliser in the 40th minute though after an excellent ball over the top put Revernell James through one on one, his first effort was saved by Hawkins, but the ball fell kindly back to the attacker and he had an easy shot into an open goal to finish.

Basford then nearly went in front just before half time, but Butler headed away a goal bound shot.

Jake Bennett became another casualty for Mickleover as he was replaced by Roger Lee just before the break and then at half time Mickleover made their third and final change when Lee Holmes was brought on for Bobby Battisson to make his Mickleover debut.

Having mentioned the club’s injury problems prior to the match, manager John McGrath will be even more concerned having picked up more issues in this game.

It was a quiet start to the second half for both teams before Beavon broke down the right and his curling effort was deflected inches wide of the far post after 53 minutes.

Lee Holmes then smashed an effort against the cross bar with 15 minutes from time in what turned out to be Mickleover’s last chance of the game.

In the 82nd minute Basford completed their turnaround and took the lead through Kane Richards. Following some patient build up play, a through ball split the defence open and Richards low effort found its way into the net despite a touch from Hawkins.

The away side then made it 3-1 in added time after they hit Mickleover on the counter and found themselves three against two, James was then played in to stroke the ball into the bottom right corner to get his second and Basford’s third of the match.

On the balance of play Basford probably deserved the victory but the 3-1 score line flattered them and was harsh on Mickleover. John McGrath will be hoping the injuries suffered by his players are not bad ones as he is already a few first team players down.

Mickleover’s next game is away to Witton Albion on Saturday at 3pm as they look for their first win in five.

Attendance: 299

Mickleover: Hawkins, Bennett [Lee, 44], Lewin, Bateman [Warren, 30], Butler, Morris, Dales, Augustien, Bacon, Beavon, Battisson [Holmes, 45]

Basford United: Collin, Betts, Wilson, Roma, Gascoigne, Dunn, Hawkridge, Thornhill [Clifton, 90], O'Connor [Marshall, 74], Richards, James

6 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Jamie Vermiglio has been appointed team manager of Buxton FC to lead the Bucks in their first National League North season. ​ A former Chorley player and in charge for four years, Jamie, 39, achieved

JAMIE VERMIGLIO IS BUXTON'S NEW MANAGER Jamie Vermiglio, recently resigned as manager of Chorley, has been appointed team manager of Buxton FC to lead the Bucks in their first National League North se