REPORT: Davin quadruple puts Dronfield out of Vase

Dreams of a run in the FA Vase are over for Dronfield Town after they suffered a heavy 4-0 defeat in the second qualifying round away at Cheadle Town. Four goals from Cheadle striker Patrick Davin proved to be the difference between the two sides as the north-westerners head into the first round proper to be played on 31st October. Dronfield must now embrace the old adage of concentrating on the league, starting with a return to the HE Barnes Stadium on Tuesday evening.

There was little between the sides in the opening twenty minutes. Callum Mawbey headed over from Connor Chapell’s near side corner on 11 minutes before the dangerous Davin fired just wide of Nick Siddons’ far post from 12 yards just 3 minutes later.

Sam Bebbington headed over from Charlie Stewart’s ball in from the left on 19 minutes but it was Cheadle who opened their account shortly after.

Matthew Russell’s cross was aimed at Mark West, who was adjudged to have been brought down by Ethan Flower in the area. Nick Siddons got a solid hand to Davin’s penalty but it was the home side who took a 1-0 lead.

Davin’s threat increased as the half wore on, putting the ball just wide from Russell’s cross on 36 minutes but Cheadle were unable to add to their tally before half time.

Dronfield began the second half a little brighter - Bebbington’s bullet header from Ord’s corner just two minutes in was well turned over by Marcus Burgess in the Cheadle goal.

Dronfield’s Charlie Stewart saw his header cleared off the line on 54 minutes after a wicked in-swinging corner from Chapell.

However, Dronfield’s spirit buckled as Cheadle got their second just a minute later. The home side’s forwards were queueing up at the top of the area but it was Davin who took charge and found the net low to Siddons left.

The game finished as a contest on 57 minutes as Davin claimed his hat-trick. He picked the ball up on the angle out on the right before curling an exquisite left foot shot beyond Siddons into the top corner for his third and Cheadle’s third of the afternoon.

Dronfield introduced Gladwin, Fereday and Savage for Flower, Willis and Ord but it had little effect as Cheadle went on to seal the win with a fourth.

Davin found the target from close range for his fourth of the game and confirmed passage into the first round proper for the home side.

Cheadle finished the game with ten men following an injury to substitute Denico Walters but in truth were deserved winners over a Dronfield side that were lacklustre for long spells.

Assistant Manager Nick Siddons. deputising in goal for the suspended Lewis Naylor, was one of the few players to emerge with any credit from a tough defeat.

Dronfield’s focus must now turn to the league with a swift opportunity to get back on track on Tuesday night with the visit of Retford FC to the HE Barnes Stadium.

Cheadle Town: Burgess, Bempah, Vare, Lunt, Nielsen, Foster, Matthews, Russell, Davin, Moran, West. Subs: Kirby, Dillnutt, Williams, Walters, Murray, Kennedy.

Dronfield Town: Siddons, Bebbington, Stewart, Flower, Pugh, Hill, Chapell, Willis, Mawbey, Wood, Ord. Subs: Fairweather, Gladwin, Savage, Rupere, Fereday.

72 views0 comments