REPORT: Spireites held by Barrow

John Sheridan's side recorded their third clean sheet in a row following a 0-0 draw to Barrow in Ian Evatt's return to the Proact Stadium.

Both sides had their chances with Lee Shaw and Marc-Antoine Fortune failing to convert golden opportunities in the first half.

Barrow were arguably the better side in the second half but were forced to finish the game with ten men following Lee Molynuex's dismissal.

In the opening moments of the match, Shaw should have put the Spireites in the lead. Jerome Binnom-Williams' cross found the striker, but he failed to direct his header on target.

Shaw was the focal point of the attack once more just four minutes later. He made his way past the Barrow defence before squaring the ball to Jonathan Smith. However, the midfielder's effort was deflected just wide of the right post.

Chesterfield continued to pressure the away side and Curtis Weston saw his effort easily saved by Joel Dixon.

The home side were given another golden opportunity on the 17th minute. Fortune beat the offside trap following a mistake from the Bluebirds defence but Dixon stood tall and saved well from the striker.

Evatt's side finally had their first effort on goal in the 23rd minute. Jacob Blyth's effort was straight at Shwan Jalal, who gathered the ball with ease.

Late into the first period, Fortune saw his effort from range fly over the bar. The 38-year-old was taken off soon after with a hamstring injury with Tom Denton coming on in his place.

Just three minutes into the second half, Sheridan was forced into making another change. Bradley Barry went down and was replaced by Joe Rowley after a couple of minutes of treatment.

The first key effort of the second half came after 15 minutes. Will Evans flicked a Shaw cross to Denton. His header was clawed out by Dixon before Alex Kiwomya's header was cleared off the line.

Denton had two headed chances in the following three minutes. One header was glanced just wide, whilst the other was saved by Dixon.

Barrow were finally presented with a golden chance with 25 minutes left. Blyth made his way into the box but Evans heroically threw himself in front of the effort.

The visitors once again threatened the Spireites. Blyth tried to break his way past the defence before Jalal made three incredible tackles.

With ten minutes of the game to go, Chesterfield thought they had finally found a way past the stubborn Barrow defence but Curtis Weston's deflected shot looped just over the bar.

The away side were forced to play the final seven minutes of the game with ten men. Molyneux was sent off for a second bookable offence after chopping down Shaw.

Unfortunately Sheridan's side were not able to find a way past Barrow's defence and were forced to settle for a draw.

It is Chesterfield's third clean sheet in a row and it has brought the Spireites to a point off Maidenhead United in 20th.


Post-Match Verdict | Progress made

Despite the goalless draw, you could tell that progress has been made since John Sheridan took charge of the Spireites.

Chesterfield were unlucky not to win and defended well to keep yet another clean sheet - their third in a row.

Sheridan felt like they should have had a penalty when Curtis Weston was brought down by Joel Dixon.

The Spireites manager said: "I thought it was quite an even game, but I thought we had good chances.

"The first 15, 20 minutes we had some good chances to take the lead and then it's a totally different game."

61 views0 comments