REPORT: Spireites scrape a point against Barrow

Despite a poor first half, Chesterfield salvaged a 2-2 draw with Ian Evatt's Barrow thanks to a Mike Fondop equaliser ten minutes from time.

John Sheridan made two changes to the side that drew 2-2 against Barnet. Robbie Weir and Jay Sheridan came into the side, with Josef Yarney dropping to the bench and Curtis Weston failing to be included at all.

The mistakes started early for Chesterfield, a clearance fell straight to Lewis Hardcastle who had an effort on goal, but was kept out by Shwan Jalal.

Liam Mandeville had the opportunity to open the scoring seven minutes in when the ball fell to him inside the area, but he fired wide.

In the 15th minute the visitors missed a good chance to take the lead. Scott Quigley got onto the end of Sheridan’s back pass, but failed to convert the chance into a goal.

It wasn’t long before Barrow did find the back of the net. Former Spireite Bradley Barry’s long-range wonder-strike gave Jalal no chance as the ball found the top right-hand corner.

Bluebirds leading scorer Quigley doubled his sides lead just under 10 minutes later. A low corner into the box was met by the Barrow striker who turned and fired his strike with power into the net, making that his 4th goal in four games.

Just five minutes from the break another chance came for the Cumbrian side. Olly Dyson tried to curl his shot into the bottom corner of the net. However, Jalal was there to push it out for a corner.

On the brink of half time, the Spireites were let back into the game when Jermaine McGlashan went down on the edge of the box. The referee pointed to the spot and Scott Boden stepped up, tucking the effort into the right corner, halving the goal deficit going into the second period of play.

It was clear something had to change for the Spireites if they wanted to get anything out of this game. They were lucky to find themselves only a goal behind Barrow at the break.

The Spireites boss made one substitution at half-time, with Johnathan Smith coming on to replace Sheridan. Anthony Gerrard was also replaced by Yarney not long into the second half.

With two home defeats already this season Chesterfield really needed to try and get something out of this game. Fondop found himself with a few opportunities midway through the half.

Mandeville whipped in a ball to Fondop who rose to head into the left corner, but the lack of power behind it allowed Barrow keeper Joel Dixon to get a firm hold on the ball.

Yarney’s cross from the right gave Fondop another chance to equalise, he once again connected with his head, but the chance flew wide of goal.

Just ten minutes from time the former Wrexham striker did manage to find the back of the net with a header. The 25-year-old connected with Buchanan’s cross and powered the ball into the back of the net to level.

In the final dangers of the game McGlashan found himself in a good position, taking the ball round Dixon, but went down before he had the chance to get a shot away. The referee, Lewis Smith, dismissed the penalty appeal and the two sides took a point a piece.

Chesterfield: Jalal, Evans, Gerrard (Yarney 52), Hollis, Sheridan (Smith 46), McGlashan, Weir (Rowley 68 ), Buchanan, Mandeville, Boden, Fondop.

Attendance: 3812 (167 away)

22 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Jamie Vermiglio has been appointed team manager of Buxton FC to lead the Bucks in their first National League North season. ​ A former Chorley player and in charge for four years, Jamie, 39, achieved

JAMIE VERMIGLIO IS BUXTON'S NEW MANAGER Jamie Vermiglio, recently resigned as manager of Chorley, has been appointed team manager of Buxton FC to lead the Bucks in their first National League North se