REPORT: Spireites suffer late defeat at Damson Park

Tom Denton opened the scoring in the 34th minute through one of his trademark headers but Solihull Moors levelled in the second half and went on to snatch all three points in additional time to bring James Rowe’s six-game unbeaten run as Chesterfield manager to an end.

Rowe was forced to make one change to the side that beat Solihull Moors 1-0 at the weekend. Joseph Yarney came into the starting eleven to replace George Carline who saw red on Saturday.

The home side recorded the first chance of the game inside the opening fifty seconds. A diagonal ball up to Cameron Coxe was played into Kyle Hudlin who sliced his effort the wrong side of the post.

In the 8th minute Laurence Maguire’s inswinging cross found Denton but the striker’s header flew high and wide.

Just before the half-hour mark Tom Whelan broke forward and opted to shoot instead of looking for Akwasi Asante who was in a good position. The midfielder forced Moors' 'keeper Ryan Boot into action but he claimed the effort comfortably.

Chesterfield found the back of the net in the 34th minute when the unmarked Denton headed in Jak McCourt’s corner at the back post.

The Spireites should have doubled their lead a few minutes later when Joel Taylor beat his man to play the ball into the box. It ended up falling perfectly for Whelan but the midfielder couldn’t convert the opportunity.

The home side started the second half on the front and put pressure on the Spireites’ defence.

Justin Donowa saw his half-volley go over the upward not long into the last 45.

At the other end Asante came inches away from doubling his side’s lead. He made a terrific run, dancing past five Moors’ men to only be denied by the woodwork.

However four minutes later Solihull Moors levelled proceedings. Donowa was denied by Kyle Letheren but the Spireites ‘keeper spilled the ball straight into the path of Joe Sbarra who tapped in from close range.

The Spireites nearly got their noses back in front in the 78th minute when Curtis Weston got on the end of a through ball from Liam Mandeville but he couldn’t beat the ‘keeper. Yarney also went agonisingly close but his effort was cleared off the line.

The Moors had the ball in the back of the net a few minutes from time but the referee had blown for a foul.

The home side had the ballin the back of the net again in added time and this time it did. count. Hudlin rose highest to latch onto Jamie Ward’s cross from the right and head past Letheren.

Spireites (3-5-2): Letheren; Evans, Hollis, Maguire; Yarney, McCourt, Whelan (Mandeville 55’), Weston, Taylor; Asante Denton (60’ Dinanga)

0 views0 comments